Saturday, January 26, 2013

Sewing

I am lucky to have learned to sew and mend things from my father when I was in high school. I also got a lot of practice working in a costume shop during my second year at the Word of Life Bible Institute in New York. 

I brought a little bag of a few sewing items so that I could mend things by hand for us if needed, because I did not know if I would have a sewing machine in Japan or if one would be available to use. 


I was so excited when I was told that there was a sewing machine left by another English teacher that I could take home and use, in addition there was a whole box of fabric that was with it and I was free to use any of it that I wanted to.

This is the beautiful, about 40 pounds, 1968 Singer FashionMate sewing machine. Still in great condition and in English. After downloading the instruction manual from online, and reading about a few differences than my Kenmore machine from home, I was ready to sew. 


This is the box of fabric and cover for the machine.
I hemmed up some curtains that were dragging the floor.

I made 2 tablecloths for our table.

2 burp cloths for Samuel from extra blankets David's mom sent to us. 

This was one of David's blankets that I sewed a piece of padding into and folded it over to make a burp cloth.

I have a few other odds and ends that I made and a few items that were suggested to me to make for gifts for some Japanese people here who have helped us. It had been wonderful to be able to sew and mend things. I just think it saves money if I can hem some pants, or fix a button, or repair an item myself!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment