Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Cooking Chronicles/Grocery Shopping: Introduction


Cooking in Japan:

David and I have been enjoying going into the grocery stores and trying to find things for meals. Everything is in Japanese and expensive. We have had to cook and learn through trial and error. We have purchased some sauces to cook our chicken in that have tasted very strange, so we know not to get that one again!! Our weekly food budget has doubled from what it was in the states because of prices. We purchase based upon when things go on sale and the meal that we are planning on cooking that night or the next night. We no longer buy food once a week or once every 2 weeks, we purchase for daily or 2-3 day cooking. So we visit our grocery more often.

We sometimes don't know what we are buying. For example, we thought we were buying regular plain potato chips, David opened the bag and was overwhelmed with the smell of BBQ. I was overwhelmed because they were SO good and I got to eat the whole bag myself :) (OK, not all in one sitting, it was a small bag, I'm pregnant and still trying to gain back some weight I lost in the early weeks of pregnancy. I was 126 pounds when we found out we were expecting, now I'm back up to 122 pounds, Yeah!! But this little guy inside really does make me hungry more often than not. Last night I got up at 1:20am and made boiled eggs and then went back to bed.

We have been having fun though. I have been cooking most breakfasts and David has been cooking most suppers. He has always enjoyed cooking and now that he has the time I am glad to let him do it. He cooks and I clean up for most suppers. It has been working out great!!!

I will leave you with a photo of our favorite breakfast. We were thrilled to get a huge, HUGE, bag of pancake mix from Costco and I have been making these once a week. 




Stay tuned for more Cooking Chronicles from Japan with photos of things we have purchased for meals and prices in yen and dollars, as well as how we cook differently based upon Japanese measurements, and how we have set up our kitchen!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment