Friday, January 11, 2013

Cooking Chronicles: Persimmon Bread

At one of our ladies Bible study, Marcia Haug had given us some persimmons. I had honestly never heard of or seen this fruit before. However, David said that he grew up with 2 persimmon trees on the farm. Marcia had made a persimmon bread for us and it was so good, when she gave us the persimmons I asked if she wouldn't mind sharing the recipe so I could try it out. She did and this is how it turned out.....

These were the persimmons that Marcia gave us, they were soft and ready to be used for bread.

I cut off the ends of the persimmons and the peels, this is what the inside looks like. I had to pick out each seed individually.

This is the persimmon insides after I took out all of the seeds.

These breads were so yummy. The pans are small so one batch in one pan in the states is about 3 little pans here.


Unless you can find things frozen, which is only at 1 or 2 stores that sell foreign items and it's very expensive, you have  to cook and bake by what is in season. I had enough persimmons for 2 batches, so after I removed the seeds I froze the second batch of persimmons. It will make for a yummy treat later on. 

David found some persimmons on sale for 100yen each, when shopping that week. 100yen is a little more than a dollar. 


David said that these are some of the biggest persimmons he has ever seen.


No comments:

Post a Comment