Thursday, December 19, 2013

Cooking Chronicles: Part 4

Some of these food photos are very old and some are more recent:


Oatmeal Cookies, I never made oatmeal cookies in the states because when I did they turned out awful. But I thought I should try again. 
They actually came out perfect, David loved them!!!
However, this summer I have not been able to make them correctly, we think it has something to do with the humidity. 

I never knew that the Japanese loved curry so much. Our Japanese language teacher brought us some homemade curry. It was very good. 

Curry and Rice
We cook chicken here a lot. A friend gave me this quick and easy sauce to add to chicken when cooking it in the skillet. It was very good. 

I'm not a big soda drinker, but this melon soda is amazing!!

When the students came over from Baiko University, they brought us a cake. It's similar to a round pound cake. They also sell mini ones that you can take with you. 
When David's parents came to visit, one thing I asked his mom to show me was how to make her biscuits from scratch. David raves about them and I knew I needed to learn how to make them for him. This is my first batch by myself after she left and they turned out great!!!


Biscuits cooking

David wanted to try homemade pizza. We usually bought the crust in the states where you just add water and oil, but we tried from scratch here and it was OK.

Making Chicken Pot Pie



Chicken Pot Pie

David's mom's famous sugar cookies, which she actually told me this summer was her dad's recipe.
 You may wonder why we eat so much chicken. The staple foods here are fish, rice, and various soups. The whole pieces, boneless chicken breasts are actually the cheapest meat here. We usually buy those. I told a neighbor in our building that I wanted to learn how to cook Japanese food and she said that she would love to teach me. 

Baking here is something that I've been told isn't done much. So for gifts or get togethers I have been bringing cookies or cakes. 

We went for Korean food with a friend!!

Carrot Cheese Cake


A huge nashi (Japanese pear).


Who knew a Kit Kat could be so small.

Stay tuned for a post on how the Japanese make lunches!!

No comments:

Post a Comment